Sunday, February 22, 2009

Little Scare

For some reason, I really like to separate my online life from my real life. I love meeting people through their blogs and websites, and creating a friendship through that. But I always get worried that somebody I know will find my blog and read everything. The reason why I don't make my blog completely private is because I enjoy having readers and meeting people, and I feel that making it private would completely restrict that possibility. Then again, you'd think I wouldn't write about the stuff I do if I wasn't prepared for anyone in the world to read it. It's complicated I guess - I just like having the two separate. The reason why I'm talking about this is because I've been using twitter to post when I make a new blog entry. Friday morning I woke up to receive two notifications from Twitter that two people I knew found me on Twitter. I got nervous because 1) I posted my latest entry on there the day before and 2) my s/n on Twitter is the name of this blog. I don't know how they found me on there in the first place but it really freaked me out. I immediately changed my s/n on there to my AIM s/n, and erased my tweet about my blog. I also removed my link to this website, and just in case, completely blocked everyone from my blog.

It's really just a dilema with me because in high school, some friends figured out my password (which I use for everything) and read everything on my livejournal. I had been posting for about a year privately and they read everything. It really just freaked me out. But I really enjoy blogging and having readers, so it's just like I can't find a happy medium.

Anyway, TenMinuteNap is back for today, and I keep checking my Stats to see if anyone using internet on my campus has been to my blog. I'm just paranoid. Any tips? I should probably just get over this whole separation and just take is as it goes - if anyone finds my blog, fine. But another part about writing on my blog is that I can really vent about things in my life that I can't tell people in my house. And I like having input from the people I've met. I don't know why I make things so difficult.

In other news - I watched "You'll Get Over It" this morning and absolutely loved it. Probably because yes, it's a gay movie, but because it's in French, and I find French boys dreamy.

1 comments:

Jere Keys said...

They probably found your twitter account because they either a) had the email address you used to sign up for twitter or b) it's possible they found you by random accident.

I understand the desire to keep blog and real life apart. That was ruined for me the day my sisters heard my blog mentioned on the radio. I'd written an entry about how my sisters and I listened to "Showtunes Saturday" in Utah together and the host of the show found her name mentioned on the internet, then commented about it during the broadcast, which sent my sisters running for the computer to find my blog.

Nothing on the internet really stays private, but it's not wrong to try and protect your anonymity.

Post a Comment