Wednesday, January 7, 2009

RIP Abby

My dog passed away today. I thought that I was prepared for it, because she has been going downhill for the past 3 years, and this wasn't the first time she got really sick. I was sure the last two times were it and she bounced right back. But yesterday I noticed something was wrong, because she kept pacing as if she was searching for somewhere to go, and she kept running into things as if she couldn't see them. We think she might have had a really bad seizure in the middle of the night (she has had them her whole life) and that it was too hard for her to manage with. We had to put her in the corner of our dining room and cage her in because she kept pacing, and I finally got her to lay down before I went to bed last night. When I woke up this morning, she was in the same spot and was barely there. My mom told me she couldn't even lift her head to drink water.

I got the call from my parents at about 5:30 telling me that it was time to come home. I drove home and she had been gone for maybe 10 minutes. It's been particularly hard on my dad because I guess he had to assist.. to help her go away. I came home and I went right over to her and I broke down. I'm a wreck. It's so hard for me to write this entry. I thought I was prepared for this but I'm really not. I don't do well with death. I can't stop crying. She was 13 years old, doesn't look like it, does it.

Abby, you will be missed. I don't care how cheesy this sounds - you were more than just a pet, you were my friend. And I will never forget you.


7 comments:

The Vice Buddha said...

:(

I m really sorry to hear this.

RIP.

I know when my German Shephard died, I was in college attending a lecture. Mum sent me a text. And i broke down in front of a class of 120 students. I got him when he was a pup of barely 4 days. And suddenly all those memories of sharing a bathtub and a bed for that matter flashed right in front of my eyes in that moment. I can understand what you are going through Jake. hang in there. Abby's ok wherever she is now.

Luv,
Josh.

Gary said...

Aww... I'm really sorry! It's always hard losing a pet! I just lost my Black Lab a few months back; it never gets easier.

Anonymous said...

I am so very sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

I am really sorry for your loss. I lost my 17 year old dog last July and it's still hard. She was a pretty dog and she probably brought you many wonderful years of great memories and happy times!

Polt said...

I'm deeply sorry for you loss. 5 year ago, we had to put out poodle down, she was like 18. I took her to the vet and was with her the whole time. And I still teary-eyed just thinking about it.

Just think of the fun times you had with her, and all the memories, and trust me, Jake, with time, this will grow easier.

HUGS...

Steve said...

That's really sad, I'm sorry to hear that. My puppy is 12 now and getting pretty crippled up...but life without him is hard to imagine. It must be really hard to have her gone now :(

hoteltuesday said...

Aww, sorry to hear this. I know I'd be devastated if Richard Parker passed away.
Abby was so cute. I hope you're feeling a little better by now.

Post a Comment